- “Race and Terror” is the title of a haunting news report on Charlottesville:
- The Las Vegas shooting
- Jimmy Kimmel‘s emotional response
- Timeline of mass shootings in the USA
- Pros and cons of gun control
- An example of simple robots doing simple jobs today
- “Humans Need Not Apply”
- Video compositions – example:
- Japan battles population decline with robots
- Delivery robots replace jobs in London
- An article about the zero -waste lifestyle
- Bea Johnson’s website about her zero-waste home
- Pros and cons of “smart homes“
Abitur-Compositionthemen (oldies but goldies):
Advertising can do more harm than good. Discuss.
People either love or hate the USA. Why does this country arouse such mixed feelings – from admiration to rejection?
Travel and tourism have become important factors in today’s consumer society. At the same time this development is being discussed for its negative effects. Discuss.
a) The demand for energy is steadily rising. This is why experts think nuclear power is the only reliable and most efficient source of energy. Discuss.
b) Politicians would like to take advantage of new technologies to give the police the right to spy on people by means of getting into their computer systems, tracing their phone calls and watching their everyday activities via surveillance cameras. How do you feel about this development?
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy audios:
Language for job interviews: https://englishwithatwist.com/2015/10/20/business-skills-how-to-answer-job-interview-questions-in-english-part-1/
What’s Up, Doc?
You are what you eat.
Here are 40 maps that explain the world.
Would you like to know the whole story of Jessica and Najima? You can find the article here. It’s really worth reading.
Globalisation explained with the 5-gas-stations theory.
How do you analyze a cartoon? Well, you just do it!
You want to know what final exams look like? Click here.
Have a look at this infographic for ideas why you could benefit from learning foreign languages.
Read this article to find out more about the potential and the current limits of translation technology.
The original Ney York Times article our lesson was based on.
Infos on your movie reports:
- Deadline for handing in your papers is the first day of the “Pfingstferien”.
- How do you write a movie report? Just have a look at the manual.
- Here you’ll find an example of a decent (not a brilliant one!) movie report.
- This is a list of films that are ideal for movie reports: films about people. If you’d like to write about a film that is not included on the list, please check with me first.
- Your movie report must be formatted in proper MLA style. This is an example text including comments / explanations.
Prepare for the class test. Become an expert on ethical shopping and consumerism:
Materials for your project work: http://apps.npr.org/tshirt/#/title
The text on advertisement and green-washing we touched upon in class.
Prepare for your class test by becoming an expert on pro/con-compositions.
The Information-gap activity on wind farms including a solution
The information-gap activity om nuclear energy we did in class.
An overview of environmental problems to get you back to speed on the topic.
Here you’ll find more on the Mars One project.
These are the online building blocks of this year’s English lessons: